I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Monday 2 April 2012

My Favourite Heroes...


This is a new weekly feature to my blog... 'My Favourite Heroes & Heroines'. Each week I will feature a different hero or heroine from the fictional world (books/TV/Films etc) that I particularly love, and I will tell you why.


I'm starting with this man...



Dr Luka Kovač  from ER


I have to admit that Dr Kovac is at the front of my mind at the moment because my husband and I are currently working our way through the complete series of ER DVD's. But this man... oh, he is not one to be forgotten.

So what type of hero is he? Well, that is an easy question to answer! He is the 'tortured hero'.

Not only has he had to deal with losing his wife and children after they were killed during a bomb attack on their apartment building during the Croatian War of Independence, he has also faced his own loss of faith and the guilt that is associated with that, many failed relationships, a minor sex addiction, being captured and held captive by the Congolese Mai-Mai, a stalker seeking revenge, and a deep yet dysfunctional relationship with the character of Abby Lockhart.

There is an episode where Luka reveals that he didn't lose his virginity until his wedding night, and the way it was done just made me sigh, such great characterisation.

At heart Luka is a family man, with a very deep ability to love that he is desperate to lavish on the right woman, but he is also a true Alpha-male.

Yet what makes him extra-special is that he is by no means perfect; with a habit of taciturnity, a quick temper, a disregard to policy, and his love of video-games... Oh, I just love him!

His character is brilliantly written. Portrayed by the drop-dead-gorgeous Goran Visnjic.



Who are your own favourite fictional heroes?

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment