I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Thursday 5 July 2012

Book Review... Secrets of Castillo Del Arco - Trish Morey


Secrets of Castillo del Arco - Trish Morey
Mills & Boon Modern
Harlequin UK, 2011
ISBN: 9780263890303











My rating




From the back cover:

"Fairytale palace or gilded cage? 
Reclusive billionaire Raoul del Arco’s deathbed promise to a friend haunts him. He swore to marry Gabriella D’Arenburg . . . but knows that taking her as his wife will only destroy her innocence. 
Gaby has no idea that Raoul has sworn such an oath. And when he storms back into her life he has a dark, dangerous edge she finds disturbingly alluring. 
Now, trapped in Raoul’s gothic castillo, Gaby is paying the price of his promise. The key to her lavish prison? Succumbing to her new husband’s touch . . . "


I like a good tortured hero story, and I was hoping for good things from this book.

While the story is played out well, keeping you interested with all the twists and turns and hints about what might be under the surface, I feel this book never really reached it full potential.

There are a lot of elements that are confusing and frustrating. I couldn't understand the hero, especially his whole I-can-never-love-again-because-I-married-a-cheating-bitch thing. Okay, I can understand how he wouldn't find it easy to trust women after that, but at times he treated the heroine appallingly and all because of his past marriage. Came across as a little shallow.

Interestingly enough, there seemed to be a lot more POV from the hero but so much of it was internal monologues and deep-POV, it was so self involved and not in a good way. A lot of the little things got missed out (I'm a stickler for details!), by the end of the book I still didn't know what the hero actually did., as in job-wise!

The bare-bones of the story is the hero lying, constantly, to the heroine to fulfil his purpose and that doesn't sit well with me. It makes the heroine come across as stupid (in my opinion) when she is far from it.

Overall, this isn't a bad book. It is well written and certainly draws you in, but the premise didn't quite work...

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment