I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Friday 20 May 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #55















Hot Pursuit - Anne Mather
Mills and Boon Modern

Single title-
Harlequin Mills and Boon, 2002
ISBN: 9780263829761

Reprint-
Passionate Protectors? By Request
Harlequin Mills and Boon, 2010
ISBN: 9780263881103


My rating




From the back cover:

"Sara was beautiful, secretive -- and haunted. Matt Seton was both intrigued and annoyed by his unexpected houseguest. She wouldn't tell him where she was from, but he could tell she was running from something.
Common sense warned Matt not to get involved, but then a newspaper article revealed that Sara was in fact the wife of a rich man and missing, feared kidnapped. Matt knew he couldn't abandon Sara; she needed his protection. And as the atmosphere became erotically charged between them, Matt also realized that, though he mustn't touch Sara, he couldn't let her go...."


This was the first book in the By Request omnibus as above, which I borrowed from my local library. Anne Mather is one of my go-to authors, I have read quite a few of her books. This book, while quite enjoyable, didn't really live up to its potential.

The story begins with the hero Matt meeting the heroine Sara after he car breaks down near his house, he offers to help her arrange to have the car fixed. Matt, a famous author, is suspicious of Sara, especially when she avoids answering questions about herself. Sara has run away from London after an incident involving her abusive husband and is afraid to reveal her true identity. When Matt discovers the truth about her he offers he shelter. Both of them are deeply attracted to one another but afraid to do anything about it due to both of their past hurts and their current situations.

I think the premise of the book had real potential, and a very exciting title, but I don't think it was made the most of. The characters were both good, well developed with a good amount of inner turmoil to deal with. The chemistry between them was really well written, as a reader I was really rooting for them to get together. The title lead me on a bit, being named 'Hot Pursuit' I thought there would be more, er well, pursuit! Like I said, I feel that the idea wasn't made the most of and ended up feeling a little flat.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment