I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Friday 16 December 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #242



The Crown Affair - Lucy King
Mills & Boon RIVA
Harlequin UK, 2011
ISBN: 9780263883909






My rating




From the back cover:

"Close encounters of the Royal kind!
After being made redundant and finding her boyfriend in bed with another woman, Laura's decided it's time to take charge of her life! However, the last thing she expects is the new Laura to end up having wild, naked fun with the gorgeous guy next door...
Okay, she virtually runs away afterwards in shame - but so what? She soon gets a new job - on the Mediterranean island of Sassania, no less! But the island has a new king - aka Laura's guy-next-door! Now they're both in trouble, for King Matt should be focussing on affairs of the state, not be intent on re-igniting a hot affair of his own..."



This is my first Lucy King book. I have heard good things though, so I have been looking forward to giving this one a go. And, let me just say I adore this cover!

The heroine Laura is desperate to get an invite into the hero Matt's house, not because he's drop dead gorgeous but because she is a restoration architect and interested in the house's features. Matt reluctantly lets Laura in after a slight clash led to him jumping to conclusions and presuming the worst about Laura. In his defence, he has been under some extreme pressure ever since learning that he is heir to the throne of the small Mediterranean county his family were exiled from many years ago, and the almost constant attention from the press since has caused even more stress. There is an immediate spark between Matt and Laura, and Laura tries to ignore it but, fed up with always being a push over, she decides to take something she wants and gives in the passion between them. A few weeks later and Laura's joy over landing a dream restoration job is hindered when she learns that it is in Matt's country. And that she had no idea of his royal status. Even though they both try to ignore the still simmering passion between them, they soon pick up where they left off. Strictly no-strings, as neither of them want more...

I'll be honest and tell you that I don't really go for royalty based stories, they just don't do it for me. So I started reading this with a little bit of trepidation. But I was completely absorbed by it, I really enjoyed it! Lucy King's writing style is fantastic, it is full of sass, witty dialogue, and very fresh. Totally her own and I, for one, love it.
Both characters are brilliantly portrayed and surprisingly down to earth. I especially liked that the heroine is a little older than your usual romance heroine, to me late 20's-mid 30's is the perfect age. It is certainly more relatable, bravo! I liked everything about the heroine; her humbleness, her attempts at being more assertive, she really is very entertaining.
The chemistry and passion is scorching, and the love-story has a wonderful pace that makes it a joy to read.

The whole book is very, very good; with genuine fun moments as well as a lot of touching ones.

I loved it!

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment