I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Friday 14 October 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #192



The Kanellis Scandal - Michelle Reid
Mills & Boon Modern
Harlequin UK, 2011
ISBN: 9780263886849






My rating




From the back cover:

"'It is not always wise to make him angry...' ...but Anton Pallis is livid!
As the adopted son of the Kanellis patriarch, he's set to inherit the vast family fortune. Until it's revealed there's a true heir - in the rather appealing shape of Zoe Ellis.
Zoe's Greek heritage means nothing to her - and to be involved with the Kanellis dynasty is to be cursed with scandal! Except now it's pounding on her front door - or rather Anton is, in all his dark, chiselled glory. And she has no idea what he's going to do next..."



This one has been on my TBR pile for a while and I have been looking forward to reading it. I know it's 'another' Modern but they are like my reading security blanket!

The heroine Zoe is struggling with her grief over the recent sudden death of her beloved parents, having to care for her newborn baby brother, and the truth of her fathers influential family becoming known causing unwanted media attention. The hero Anton has always been like a son to Zoe's grandfather, especially after Zoe's father was cast out of the family over twenty years ago. When news about Zoe and her baby brother reaches her grandfather, Anton is forces into approaching her. When he arrives he is surprised by how determined Zoe is, as well as being fiercely attracted to her. He offers Zoe sanctuary from the unwanted attention, which she agrees to, and he takes her to his home in Greece. Zoe is aware that Anton appears to have ulterior motives and tries desperately to ignore the desire between them. Eventually though, they both lose control and when word gets out they find themselves being forced together and Zoe can't help but think that Anton is only using her.

This is a well written and very enjoyable book. It is very typical of Michelle Reid's style, and that is not a bad thing! There are moments in the book that I found a little difficult to read; there is quite a lot of anger and fighting between the hero and heroine at the beginning. And, while this initially helped to emphasise the sexual tension, after a while it got a little too vitriolic for my liking. I also found some of the actions of the hero a little questionable, his 'alphaness' was taken a little bit too far in my opinion. However, this a very gripping book and I read it quickly.

Not one of Michelle Reid's best, but enjoyable and worth a read.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment