I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Wednesday 30 May 2012

Book Review... Getting Away With It - Julie Cohen


Getting Away With It - Julie Cohen
Headline Review, 2010
ISBN: 9780755350612













My rating


From the back cover:

"Liza Haven couldn’t wait to escape the small village where she grew up with her perfect identical twin sister, Lee. Her life in LA as a stunt woman is reckless, fast and free – and that’s just the way she likes it. But when a near-fatal mistake drives her home, she finds Lee gone and everyone in the village mistaking her for her twin sister. Liza has to deal with her ailing mother, the family ice cream business, and Lee’s dangerously attractive boyfriend. Liza’s always been the bad twin, but as she struggles to keep up the masquerade and puzzle out where her sister has gone, she realises it’s not so simple. She’s spent her whole life getting away with it – is it finally time to face up to who she really is and where she really belongs?"

I have read a few of Julie Cohen's Mills & Boon books in the past, but not any of her more mainstream stuff.  I was recommended to read her latest 'The Summer of Living Dangerously' and I saw this one at the same time so I thought I would give it a go.

Let me tell you... This will definitely not be my last of hers, I loved it!

I was really intrigued by how the author would make the whole 'twin-switch' idea work, it had potential to be very cliché ridden, but it wasn't at all. Instead this was a slick, fun, and emotional read.

What I particularly liked about this book is that the heroine isn't very loveable, or in fact likeable, especially at the beginning. She is ballsy, prickly and brittle, but also vulnerable and she has rare moments of showing that she does care.

Julie Cohen doesn't hold anything back; her characters behave badly, the fishbowl-ness that is village life is captured perfectly, and the difficulties of caring for a relative are also explored all in glorious and honest detail that is woven into a compelling story.

A wonderful read from start to finish.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment