I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Wednesday 13 June 2012

Book Review... One Night Stand - Julie Cohen


One Night Stand - Julie Cohen
Little Black Dress, 2007
Headline
ISBN: 9780755334834












My rating




From the back cover:

"Eleanor Connor has written lots of steamy novels, but sadly her own life is more mundane. In fact, the nearest she's come to passion for ages is having to listen through the thin walls of her house as friend and neighbour Hugh seduces an endless stream of women. 
But then Eleanor has a one-night fling of her own, waking up alone, repentant, and as she later realises, pregnant. Desperate to find her missing lover, if only to tell him he's going to be a father, she enlists Hugh to help her search. But should she be looking closer to home to find what she really needs?"


I think I am in love with Julie Cohen's writing. This is another great book of hers, which literally had me at hello!

I read a lot of romance novels (you have probably realised that by now!) so the whole one-night-stand-leads-to-pregnancy theme is nothing new. However this one is a slightly different take on it, and I applaud Julie Cohen for exploring the difficult and darker side of this aspect of life.

I'm sure we all know [of] someone who has been in this situation, and not knowing who, or where, the father is does happen. And that is what the heroine is going through.

This whole book is written with a refreshing honesty, and a touch of brutal reality, plus there is also plenty of humour to balance it out.

The characters are normal people living normal lives, but also lives that have enough secrets and forks-in-the-road to keep you interested.

The love-story between the hero and heroine plays out beautifully. I knew the two of them belonged together and I was desperate for them to realise it for themselves!

A wonderful book.

Oh, and there is a nice little nod back to this book in Julie Cohen's latest 'The Summer of Living Dangerously', it's nice when author's  do this, it makes their work feel very unique to them!

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment