I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Thursday 9 August 2012

Review... The Chalet Girl - Kate Lace


The Chalet Girl - Kate Lace
Little Black Dress, 2007
Headline
ISBN: 9780755338313












my rating




From the back cover:

"The ski season. A glamorous world of snowy pistes, gorgeous ski instructors and glittering après-ski nightlife. What's not to love?
Quite a lot, thinks Millie Braythorpe. Four months of endless bed-making and cooking for guests have taken their toll, and the only thing she really looks forward to is her nightly gig singing in a little French bar. Then handsome troublemaker Luke comes to stay at her chalet, and before she knows it Millie's head over heels in love. But is Luke to be trusted, or is her Alpine romance destined to end in heartbreak?"

I have wanted to read this book for a while, it comes with a lot of good reviews. And while I found it enjoyable, it wasn't what I was expecting.

The book starts off great; we learn a lot about the heroine, especially how she got to where she was at that point and what she has been through. The author weaves the backstory in well, makes it gripping and not too info-dumpy.

This is one of the first books I have read (in the general romance area) that deals with abortion. This was interesting to me, as it's something that brings a lot of issues/opinions with it. However I don't really think this was made the most out of, it was virtually forgotten about in the second half of the book.

The story was built up beautifully in the first half but after that everything seemed to become too 'easy'. Too twee and convenient. Some great conflict was developed then I felt like the book kind of lost its way.

I also feel that the heroine at 18-19 years old was too young. Everything would have been deeper and easier to relate to if more time had passed since the hurtful events in her life.

Nevertheless, this is a sweet read and certainly holds your attention.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment