I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Tuesday 29 March 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #11

Cupcakes and Killer Heels - Heidi Rice
Mills and Boon RIVA
Harlequin Mills and Boon, 2011
ISBN: 9780263883770






My rating



From the back cover:

"Ruby Delisantro never blushes... ...but after one glance from the infuriating Callum Westmore's bedroom eyes she's flushed redder than a glacé cherry. Her body has the right idea, for now Callum's convertible has crashed into her life nothing will ever be the same... Cupcake baker Ruby has always been in the driving seat when it comes to relationships, but something tells her that Callum sees straight through her snappy one-liners to her soft-as-buttercream heart beneath. For Ruby's in danger of losing control and - worse still - of liking it!"

Heidi Rice very kindly sent this too me to review (and add to my tally, of course!). While this book was sent gratis I can guarantee that this doesn't affect my opinion of the book, plus I promised Heidi honesty, and that's what I'll give! And honestly... I loved this book!!

I have been a big fan of Heidi's books for a while, I find her writing is always full of quick wit, sparky characters, as well as having a very modern feel. To me her books are like the love-child of 'Sex and the City' and 'Bridget Jones', which can only be a good thing! This one is her first for the new RIVA line, her previous were released on the Modern Extra/Heat imprint, which has now been replace by RIVA, and it fits this new imprint perfectly like a designer shoe! If you have read any of her previous books then this one will certainly not disappoint. This book is a follow on from her previous book 'Surf, Sea and a Sexy Stranger', the female character from it is Callum's sister, those of you who have read previous Heidi Rice books will know that its common for characters from previous books to pop up now and again.

The female character Ruby is a baker who co-owns her business with a friend! Ruby is the kind of girl that LOVES to flirt and she's not afraid to do so. However a recent break up she has made a decision to (try) stay away from relationships for a while! The story begins with Callum, the male character, crashing his car into Ruby's causing a heated exchange between the two and then Ruby to miss out on an important business meeting. Callum pursues Ruby and they end up going on a date, and spending the night and following day together. Callum asks Ruby to travel down to his sisters with him to attend his nieces birthday party, something which he is not looking forward to in the slightest. All is going well, they both agree that its just a short affair between them, no promises, nothing serious, etc. However it is obvious that they belong together, unfortunately due to them each having baggage and issues from growing up they can't see past their own pain to what they have together.

The chemistry between to two characters is sizzling, and the passionate results are just the same. They also have a fantastic banter between them and seem to bounce of each other perfectly. I really felt like I wanted to give both of them a massive shake so they would stop living in their issues and realise whats in front of their eyes! This is something that is very true to life, so I applaud Heidi for this, who of us can really put our hands up and say we don't have any issues at all?! The majority of the story takes place over a weekend, and while it is perfectly possible to fall in love that quickly, the cynic in me thought otherwise, which is the only reason why it lost half a star! However, Heidi redeems this (at least to me) by not having any actual feelings admitted until a few weeks later.

I loved this book so much that I actually convinced my husband to read it (it was a partial bet where I now have to read a book of his choice!) and, shock horror, he read it in less than 3 hours, after scoffing at me all this time for reading romance! He liked it too, and has even written a mini review, which I will post up later!

As I mentioned at the start of this post, Heidi sent this to me and it is an advanced copy. It will be available to purchase from the Mills and Boon UK website from April 1st and then available for general purchase online and shops from May. If you simply can't wait that long, then pop along to Heidi's website where there is a sneak peek of the first chapter, here's the link.

Last of all, let me say a huge thank you to Heidi for sending me this book.

Xx

P.s. if, like me, you are on a diet when you read this book, be warned! The descriptions of the cupcakes and baking almost had me running to my nearest bakery! Ruby's invention of a Mango and Passion fruit sponge with orange and lemon frosting almost had me dribbling!

No comments:

Post a Comment