I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Monday 4 July 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #77




Doukakis's Apprentice - Sarah Morgan
Mills and Boon Modern
Harlequin Mills and Boon, 2011
ISBN: 9780263886702





My rating



From the back cover:

"Wanted: willing apprentice to handle indecently arrogant (but incredibly sexy) tycoon
With her family business in crisis Polly Prince does her best to keep calm and carry on. But hard work alone can’t save her company from a takeover by the infamously ruthless Damon Doukakis…or her traitorous body from the lethal sensuality of her boss!
As his new apprentice, Polly accompanies Damon to Paris to negotiate the business deal of her life! Worse still, Polly must at all costs resist Damon in the most dangerously romantic city in the world…
21st CENTURY BOSSES Impossible, infuriating and utterly irresistible!"


First of all, a huge THANK YOU to the lovely Sarah Morgan. Sarah contacted me and very kindly sent me this book, as well as her latest medical - Twitter is amazing for networking folks! You all know by now how much I love the Modern line so I couldn't wait to read this one and I really loved it.

The story begins with the heroine Polly nervously preparing for a meeting with the man who has taken over her fathers business, the hero Damon. Damon does not like Polly, thinking she is spoilt and reckless after Polly's actions many years ago resulted in his sister being expelled from school. To make matters worse Damon's sister has also run off with Polly's irresponsible father. Damon has taken over the company in order to find his sister, in the meantime he plans to teach Polly the meaning of hard work believing her to be lazy and only in a job due to nepotism. However once he has taken control of the company he soon realises that Polly has been running it virtually single handed for sometime, he also learns that Polly has brought herself up as her father was rarely there for her. During a business trip to Paris he gets to know Polly even more, especially how strong and unique she is, and begins to realise that not only has he misjudged her but also he is beginning to have feelings for her.

I have to say first; hurrah for the new breed of Modern authors who write such fantastic female characters, no doormats in sight! Sarah, I adored Polly as a character; she is smart, independent and strong yet still caring and, at times, slightly whimsical. What a great mix, well done! I thought the two characters are perfectly matched, Damon is all serious and determined and Polly is equally determined but much more relaxed. They bounced of each other well, with the help from some fantastic dialogue. The relationship that developed between them feels very natural and real.
I especially liked how Sarah Morgan poked fun at corporate 'rules' and buzzwords. Up until a year ago I worked for a well known and very corporate banking group (whom shall remain nameless!) that used things like "hot desking" and other such nonsense, so I was laughing along with Polly's bemusement about these!

This is a beautifully written romance with all the classic elements of a Modern book, yet brought bang-up-to-date with witty dialogue and sparkling characters!

Thanks again Sarah, I loved it!

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment