I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Monday 4 July 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #78




My Favorite Cowboy - Shelley Galloway
Harlequin American Romance
Harlequin, 2011
ISBN: 9780373753536


N.B. This is a North American release.



My rating





From the back cover:

"Rugged, rough and rowdy, Jarred Riddell is everything a cowboy should be. That's the problem. 'Cause Jarred has set his sights on a pretty lil' socialite who has no use for his unrefined ways. Luckily, he has a plan: get the local librarian to whip him into charm-school shape and that city gal will fall right into his gentlemanly arms.
But coconspirator Serena Higgens has more on her mind than proper manners. She's pined for years after the sweet, hardworking rancher who lacks a bit of polish. To earn some much-needed cash, she'll put her feelings aside and give Jarred a crash course in respectability. Besides, throwing out mud-caked boots and correcting double negatives should help Serena get over her crush. It's the perfect situation…until Jarred adds kissing to the lesson plan!"


I bought this book when I was in NYC and was so excited about it. Up until this month, this line was not available here in the UK it is now available as an ebook exclusive line on the Mills and Boon UK website (link). I'll admit, I have a bit of a thing about Cowboy's so I was looking forward to reading this, I wasn't sure what to expect but I really enjoyed it!

The hero Jarred and the heroine Serena have been friends for a long time and while Serena has had a crush on him for a long time she is content with just their friendship. That is until Jarred confesses he has fallen fro the new girl in town, whom happens to be a sophisticated heiress from the city. Jarred is a dyed in the wool cowboy and knows his uncultured ways are unlikely to appeal to this woman. He asks for Serena's help in improving his manners and hopes to impress enough that the woman will bid on him in the upcoming town bachelor auction. Serena reluctantly agrees as she is in need of the money, but finds it hard to teach Jarred anything as he seems distracted all the time. Jarred is actually finding it difficult to concentrate as he has started to notice Serena is a completely different way, and the more time they spend together the more they have to fight against their growing attraction and feelings for one another.

I really enjoyed this book and found the 'normality' of the characters really appealing. The story was fun and had some humorous elements, but still managed to deal with some very emotional moments. I liked how the author managed to stay away from too many clichés; Serena, instead of being a nerdy librarian is a normal woman, and the other woman wasn't written as your typical bitchy type.
I liked that Jarred was the sexy rugged Cowboy but a little but of a goofball! Makes a refreshing change from all the suave type male characters!

This lived up to it's series names of being very 'American', which aside from having to look up the occasional thing (what the hell is Skoal? oh, it's chewing tobacco!) I really enjoyed. I was expecting it to be very cheesy, but it really wasn't!

Xx

P.s. It's weird spelling 'favourite' as 'favorite'!

No comments:

Post a Comment