I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Thursday 28 July 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #125



The Greek's Million-Dollar Baby Bargain - Julia James
Mills and Boon Modern
Harlequin Mills and Boon, 2009
ISBN: 9780263870053





My rating






From the back cover:

"He’s paid a million for the baby…
he’ll take her as his mistress for free!
When Greek tycoon Nikos Theakis offered grieving Ann Turner a million for his orphaned nephew, she took the money and walked away... Young, penniless and alone, Ann did what she thought was best – and it nearly broke her.
But now little Ari needs her, and the ruthless Greek is offering Ann a different bargain...
One month, on his island – at his mercy..."



I have had this book on my kindle for a while and thought I would give it a go. I have read quite a few Julia James books and I like her style, although I had mixed feelings about this one.

At the beginning of the book the heroine Ann is grieving for the loss of her sister, but she has her precious nephew to care for. Then the hero Nikos arrives and wants to take custody of the baby, initially she refuses as he had not allowed his brother to acknowledge his son as he thought her sister was lying. The he offers her a million pounds and she agrees for both the money and for the life that Nikos's family can provide for her nephew. Five years later and Ann accidentally bumps into her nephew and his grandmother and is welcomed by her with open arms, much to Nikos's chagrin. She is asked to go to Greece to spend time with her nephew, Nikos doesn't like Ann but recognises that she loves her nephew. He also finds himself very attracted to her. After they spend the night together he wants her to be his mistress but Ann refuses to be bought and is disgusted by the offer. Nikos doesn't understand her behaviour, believe she is a gold digger, but he still wants her. Ann knows his poor opinion of her her but she also can't fight her desire for him.

I found this book difficult to like, the story is good and written well but I just couldn't stand the hero. He was far too cruel to the heroine, some of the names he called her were awful. And, I desperately wanted the heroine to stick up for herself, which she didn't, although I liked her calm temperament. There is enough details purposely held back from the early story to keep you interested and this is very typical of Julia James's style.

This is quite an enjoyable story but the devil is in the details, and the details (characters and their interaction) really let this book down. Not one of Julia James's best.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment