I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Saturday 23 July 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #121



The Highest Price to Pay - Maisey Yates
Mills and Boon Modern
Harlequin UK, 2011
ISBN: 9780263886825






My rating






From the back cover:

"‘While it has been reported that I may be missing my own soul, I have no interest in yours. This is about money.’
When Ella’s failing business comes wrapped up as part of Blaise Chevalier’s recent takeover, he plans to discard it – as is his usual way with surplus goods. Then he meets Ella! Cast from the same fiery mould as he is, she makes an intriguing adversary. Perhaps he could have a little fun with his new acquisition...
As proud and strong as she is beautiful, Ella is determined to prove Blaise wrong about her business and her worth. As long as she hides her hint of vulnerability and denies the flicker of attraction between them when she catches her enemy’s eye..."



I have been wanting to read this book for ages, anyone who follows Maisey Yates on twitter will know how much she's not afraid to talk about her books (and rightly so)! I have been looking forward to this book since about May when she tweeted the cover (more on that later). Anyway, Maisey built up my expectations and did she let me down?... No, she did not!

This is the story of Blaise and Ella. Blaise is an infamous business man known for his ruthless attitude and playboy existence and Ella is a fashion designer and fiercely independent as well as physically scarred and determined to make a success out of herself. When Blaise takes over her floundering business, Ella is convinced he is going to crush it but she is surprised when he tells her her is going to help her reach her potential. There is instant attraction between them, which only gets more intense as they spend time together. Blaise doesn't do commitment and Ella has never trusted anyone enough to let them see the extent of her scarring. But when their desire becomes so overwhelming they begin an affair, and it's not long until Blaise realises Ella's feelings for him are growing and he knows he has to end it.

From the very first page I could really feel the weight on each of the characters hearts, as well as the web of sexual tension the author spins around them. The plot is riveting and really well written, as are both of the characters. I loved how tortured Blaise is and how he realises his past mistakes but doesn't make excuses for his behaviour. Ella is a wonderful heroine, the perfect mix of bravado and sadness. Both of their backstories are well developed, I really felt like I 'knew' them. When the passion between them finally erupts, believe me, it's hot!

This book is amazing; emotional and exciting, absolutely perfect for the Modern line.

Whilst I was reading this Maisey tweeted about an email she received from a bookclub telling her that the cover of this book put them off reading it due to it having a black hero and white heroine. I think this is terrible, and unnecessary, we are meant to live in a more tolerant world. And, to actually email these thoughts to Maisey is really rather uncalled for. I applaud Maisey for writing this book, I believe this is the first Modern with a black hero, and I also applaud the editors and art department for carrying this through to the cover. Is it controversial? No, not at all. It's 2011 for goodness sake, and skin colour should not make any difference, plus the guy on this cover is very, very sexy! That's all I'm going to say about it, otherwise I fear I may never stop!

Enjoy.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment